2017_OC_Pet_Expo_Website_Banner_f26.png www.petexpooc.org/ application

2016 Amazon holiday banner

Events   Giving up a Dog   Success Stories   Gallery   Press Room   F.A.Q.   Contact & Hours   Links


border=0

Copper
Meet 12 year old Copper, one of our nicest seniors. He lived happily with his owner since he was a pup. Sadly, his owner has passed away. Copper would love a new home where he could live out his last years in comfort. See more info in his bio!


PetMeds on YouTube


B&B's Wishlist


Connect with us on
Instagram and facebook


Subscribe to our
Online Newsletter!


Help our homeless pets! Get a free pet insurance quote




If you shop at Ralphs or Food4Less, you can help us!
Click here to find out how...


Donate used cars
UsedCars


Dog's Life Magazine!

B&B gets 50% of the subscription fee when you use our link.

Use GoodSearch.com
to earn $$$ for B&B!


Visit the B&B Store
Books, Pet Supplies & more!


Support us by shopping at
smile.amazon.com



Memorial Tiles for pets
MemorialTiles




Click here to see our
available rescue dogs

(Updated Daily!)

You can meet the rescue dogs at our weekend adoption events, or by appointment at the sanctuary.

Beagles and Buddies Sanctuary
23430 Hwy 18
Apple Valley, CA 92307
626-444-9664
Map: http://goo.gl/maps/n5Jiq

Email: beagles@beaglesandbuddies.org

RAISINS & GRAPES POISONOUS TO DOGS

Based on report provided by VMRCVM Vet Notes: Animal Poison Control Center has documented multiple cases of grape and raisin poisoning in dogs within the last couple of years. Presumably, this has occurred in the past but was attributed to other causes.

What Kind of Grapes & Raisins?
Grapes of all varieties and growing conditions (including homegrown) have been implicated. Raisins are usually made from white seedless grapes, but all raisins of any source should be considered kidney toxic (chocolate covered raisins as well).

Why?
The toxic principle is unknown. But so far the majority of toxicosis reports have been in dogs. However, feeding grapes or raisins to cats and ferrets should also be discouraged, as poisonings have been reported in these species as well.

How Many Would Poison Your Dog?
The minimum toxic dose is approximately1 grape per pound of body weight.

15 lb dog = 12-14 grapes could be deadly
25 lb. dog = 23 grapes could be deadly
50 lb. dog = 50+ grapes could be deadly
75 lb. dog = 75 grapes could be deadly

Raisins, having lost their water content are considered more toxic at 6 raisins per kg of body weight, or 2-3 raisins per pound of body weight. Think how many raisins are in ONE small snack pack of raisins ? maybe enough to kill your dog.

15 lb. dog = 30-45 raisins could be deadly
25 lb. dog = 50-75 raisins could be deadly
50 lb. dog = 100-150 raisins could be deadly
75 lb. dog = 150-225 raisins could be deadly

What are the symptoms?
Symptoms appear 6-24 hours after the dog eats raisins or grapes (average is 12 hours). Initially, symptoms are gastro-intestinal signs, followed by kidney problems.

Vomiting is usually the primary sign, with diarrhea, depression/lethargy, anorexia, colic, dehydration and sharply decreased urine output. The course of the toxicosis is anywhere from 3 days to 3 weeks. Dogs with kidney problems have a guarded to poor prognosis.

Treatment...get to Vet as soon as possible!
If the raisins or grapes have been ingested within 2-3 hours, vomiting should be induced followed by activated charcoal to limit further absorption. Treatment is based on preventing further absorption if appropriate and maintaining urine output & electrolyte balance. The vet may also give an osmotic cathartic (to speed up GI passage of toxin without absorption). The animal should receive an isotonic saline solution IV at twice maintenance rates for 48 hours. Anti-nausea medication, diuretics and peritoneal dialysis may be needed in some cases.

BACK TO TOP

Copyright © Beagles and Buddies. All Rights Reserved