| Click here to see our
available rescue dogs
You can meet the rescue dogs at our weekend adoption events, or by appointment at the sanctuary.
Beagles and Buddies Sanctuary
23430 Hwy 18
Apple Valley, CA 92307
Special Friends – Volunteer Program
Some of our dogs are looking for Special Friends – friends who will help them get adopted! We are looking for volunteers who are willing to work one-on-one with a dog who could use a little "coaching" to help him/her get adopted. If you are interested, you must have come to Beagles and Buddies as a regular volunteer at least 3 times before you can join the Special Friends program.
Beagles and Buddies is a no-kill shelter. That means that sometimes a dog can be at B&B for years before the right person comes along to adopt it. The Special Friends program is all about helping these dogs find that special person a little sooner.
As a Special Friend, you would:
If you have already volunteered at least three times at B&B: you can join the Special Friends Program. Either come to B&B any Sunday, between 1:00pm and 4:00pm and talk to Robin, or send email to . Then we will match you up with your own Special Friend.
- Commit to visiting your Special Friend for 1 hour a week for a 3 month period.
At the end of 3 months, you may continue to visit your special friend, or you may choose to move on to a new special friend.
- Try to help your dog overcome any bad habits. If the dog is very shy, you would work to help it trust people more. If the dog jumps up on people, you would work to get it to sit. If your dog doesn't know how to walk on a leash, you would teach it. We will occasionally offer special training classes at Beagles and Buddies that you may attend with your special friend.
- Learn all about your Special Friend and pass that information on!
You can add information to your Special Friend's regular kennel folder, such as: likes to play ball, likes to be scratched behind its ears, is good with cats or small children; or walks well on a leash. This is the kind of info that can help these dogs get adopted. There are forms in the Special Friends Box in the office at B&B where you can write info down and add it to your dog's folder.
- Spread the word. If you are an Internet-savvy person, you might even create a web page about the dog. Or take some great pictures of it that we could put on the B&B web site. There may be opportunities for you to accompany your Special Friend with our Mobile Adoption Team. You can go and tell everyone how great your Special Friend is!
- Take care of your Special Friend.
Once a week, you would assess its health, checking for things like ear or eye infections, puncture wounds, fleas, lumps, etc. By being an extra set of eyes and ears, you can help the B&B staff make sure that all the dogs are in good health.
If you haven't been to B&B at least three times and you want to be a Special Friend: sign in on the Special Friends Qualifying Sheet when you come to volunteer (in the Special Friends box in the office). Once you've signed in three times, follow the instructions above to join the program.